Thursday, September 26, 2013

Letter Dd Activities

This was our fifth week of school and I think I just might be figuring out this PreK thing again.  My class is adorable times 100, for sure, and they are such eager learners.

I was asked by a follower what activities I do to teach letters.  I won't lie, I have never been a fan of letter of the week, but I also have to follow guidelines set for PreK in our district.  Here is some of our fun from letter Dd week:



 To introduce Dd, we read this Alphatale book.  It's a great story about a detective dog who searches for donuts.  One of my favorite things about this book is we say "dun, dun, duuunnn!" when I point to my students.  After reading the story, I gave each of my students a magnifying glass and we searched the school for letter Dd and pictures that started with the /d/ sound.  I wasn't able to grab a picture of our hunt.  I was a little busy.



Since we were detective hunting for letter Dd, I thought it would be a great time to introduce our Mystery Box to learn what our story would be about.  After many clues and guesses, we discovered there were ducks and muck inside.

These became our retelling props for the week. (I have a retelling center for Social Learning Center time.)



I also included rubber ducks in our water table...


 ...and duck and dog puppets in the Puppet Center.  By the way, look at our fabulous letter printing on the Puppet Center!  It's only our fifth week! 



To help understand the formation of Dd, we used {my favorite!!!} Heidi Songs.  Her songs are soooo adorable and catchy!  My kids love to sing them as transition activities in the hallway, too.


After learning the Heidi Songs song for letter Dd, we all sang it while tracing a Dd with a rubber ducky.  I got the rubber duckies at Party City for super cheap.  Don't we all need a class set of rubber duckies?!?!

 
I am going to try to post activities for each letter that we study.  I hope it's helpful for my new PreK friends and for my Kinder peeps.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like yall had tons of fun! I love the mystery box

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Thanks for sharing. I am teaching a 4K ~ 5K split this year. Yes...you read that right! It has been fun and challenging all at the same time. We should bounce ideas off of each other! Amber ~ Kindergarten Rocks Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a star. I am going to steal your mystery box idea for my Kinders. They'll love it. Thanks
    Julie
    Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...